The north coast has a high percentage of low-wage jobs. Most employers would like to pay workers more but can’t. High turnover is a big expense, but CalFresh can help stabilize your lower-wage workforce.
CalFresh is California’s version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), designed to add to the working family’s food budget. By referring employees who qualify to this resource, you help to add funds to their family budgets, making wages go further, and bringing new dollars to our local markets.
Some attributes of CalFresh:
- Comes as an EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card
- Works with some of our local farmers market vendors
- Brings money into Humboldt County
- Easy for employees to apply
Working-age people have become the largest group using SNAP. This in spite of the fact that those who qualify apply for benefits at lower rates, and Californians take advantage of the program at lower rates than the country as a whole.
And who are these people?
- Young people working part time, whether they want to or not
- Single parents
- Two people working two lower-wage jobs who are supporting a large family
Sequoia Personnel Services is part of an effort to extend CalFresh benefits to hard-working lower-wage working people who qualify but for whatever reason haven’t applied for benefits. Employers can contact us to find out more:
People can also apply for CalFresh benefits at the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services, Food for People, or via c4yourself.